www.zeroshell.org Forum Index www.zeroshell.org
Linux Distribution for server and embedded devices

SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile  Log inLog in  Log in to check your private messagesPrivate Message 

Load balance multiple internet with same gateway

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jnickel

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:10 pm    Post subject: Load balance multiple internet with same gateway Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

I have 4 DSL connections I want to load balance between.

My only concern is that the ISP has given my IP addresses that are all on the same subnet and each one has the same gateway.

So...for example:

DSL 1 has an IP of 67.225.34.57 and a gateway of 67.225.34.254
DSL 2 has an IP of 67.225.34.60 and a gateway of 67.225.34.254
DSL 3 has an IP of 67.225.34.62 and a gateway of 67.225.34.254
DSL 4 has an IP of 67.225.34.64 and a gateway of 67.225.34.254

Will I be able to sucessfully setup load balancing with this arrangement?

Can I get any suggestions on how to make this work?

Thanks,

Jim
benryanau

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Load balance multiple internet with same gateway Reply with quote

jnickel wrote:
Hi Guys,

I have 4 DSL connections I want to load balance between.

My only concern is that the ISP has given my IP addresses that are all on the same subnet and each one has the same gateway.

So...for example:

DSL 1 has an IP of 67.225.34.57 and a gateway of 67.225.34.254
DSL 2 has an IP of 67.225.34.60 and a gateway of 67.225.34.254
DSL 3 has an IP of 67.225.34.62 and a gateway of 67.225.34.254
DSL 4 has an IP of 67.225.34.64 and a gateway of 67.225.34.254

Will I be able to sucessfully setup load balancing with this arrangement?

Can I get any suggestions on how to make this work?

Thanks,

Jim

Mate I just checked, there's an option that I recall.. it's the "Interface" option of the load balancer.

NOTE: This CANNOT be used in conjunction with a "gateway address" - you can't set a forwarding interface AND a gateway IP. It's one or the other.

I reckon you can make it work.. but there's one catch.
Yo'll probably have to use PPPoE and terminate the PPP sessions on the ZS box.
Check out the Net Balancer page, go to Manage, select/create a gateway and go "Change". On the right side there's a drop box "Network Interface". This might do what you want. Maybe sub-interfaces/vlans would reduce the need for NICs if you're virtualised.

Hmm had a thought, proxy-arp might be of additional use here for you if you can't use a gateway IP per connection, and PPPoE is out of the picture.
It's easy enough for ZS box to proxy-arp.. but you may instead need it on your modem to avoid having to set an upstream gw per interface. It's where the modem ARP-replies for any IP address it has a route for. Not commonly used these days with the advent of L2/L3 switches. Check the hw docs or ask around obout your model of router/modem.)

Wondering.. what's your provider like? Small and helpful, or large and unresponsive? If they're small, a simple change or two might be enough to make things work without trickery.
Also wonder what your route table entry is in their NAS. If you can get them to check if your IP is part of a subnet homed on the NAS eg do they allocate you addresses in /30 blocks with one IP homed on the NAS or are they using 'IP unnumbered'. I'm reaching here but if you can just get an IP for the other end unique to each interface..
fbenini

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think it doesn't matter that they all have the same GW, you set your 4 dsl modem local ip as gateway in zeroshell and it should do it.
It as simple as that, or I'm not getting it right Confused .
stepik

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have the same problem. My ISP is big and not cooperating, the solution with modems local ips would put me through hassle with double NAT or making these crappy modems to route. My current GW (vigor 2820 with dual wan) have no problem with two wans with same gw, but i need to add more wans.
The thing is, to achieve best performance i need the modems just to bridge, spoof theyr mac address and route, balance and qos traffic eith something more efective/efficient like ZS. but after allnight hassle i came nowhere. And my provider doesnt use PPPoE therefor it just need an IP as a default gw with conjunction with interface.

so far i have easy testing setup, which perfectly simulkates the situation:

Local network gw: 10.10.1.1
ZS WANs to loadbalance: eth01: 10.10.1.213
eth02 10.10.1.214
eth03 10.10.1.215
(ZS complains about theese settings, so i just use DHCP to assighn WAN addreses. and yeas i know and agree that thats not clean setup, but tell the ISP, they even have 255.255.0.0 netmask, lame...)
zs lan: 10.0.0.1

its wery much the same setup like our isp have, but without all the dslams and so.
robertmora

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must choose a proper load balancer depending on your ISP/LAN connections.TP-Link TL-R480T can be good for small network and also do proper load balancing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zeroshell.org Forum Index -> Networking All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: