www.zeroshell.org Forum Index www.zeroshell.org
Linux Distribution for server and embedded devices

SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile  Log inLog in  Log in to check your private messagesPrivate Message 

Hacking Zeroshell to work with a TL-WN822N wifi card

View previous topic :: View next topic  
paradoxbound

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:00 pm    Post subject: Hacking Zeroshell to work with a TL-WN822N wifi card Reply with quote

Until recently I was running a very kludgy home made firewall based on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. However it was very ugly and not very user friendly. I have moved my main firewall over to Zeroshell after it won a beauty contest with other dedicated firewall distros and in general I am very happy. The only problem is my wfi card the TL-WN822N of the subject line which is a USB device. I ran it quite happly using a bridge between wlan0 and eth0 and used hostapd to handle the SSID and other configuration parameters.

Poking around in the shell I can see Zeroshell supports the Atheros ath9K_htc chipset on which my card is based it is however it is missing the htc_7010.fw[1] required for USB based devices. This firware is installed by default for Ubuntu 12.04

root@zeroshell root> dmesg | grep -i ath
[ 3.004920] usb 5-4: Manufacturer: ATHEROS
[ 20.393420] ath9k_htc 5-4:1.0: usb_probe_interface
[ 20.393431] ath9k_htc 5-4:1.0: usb_probe_interface - got id
[ 20.393446] usb 5-4: ath9k_htc: Firmware htc_7010.fw requested
[ 20.394545] usbcore: registered new interface driver ath9k_htc
[ 20.401779] usb 5-4: ath9k_htc: Failed to get firmware htc_7010.fw
[ 20.401958] usb 5-4: ath9k_htc: USB layer deinitialized

Am I right in thinking that once I get the firmware blob in there the wlan interface should automagically appear?

Could people advise of the easiest way to get the htc_7010.fw into Zeroshell or do I have to completely rebuild Zeroshell and the iso9660 file system?

If I have to rebuild could people kindly point me to best practice docs and posts?

[1] http://wireless.kernel.org/download/htc_fw/1.3/

Regards Jim
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zeroshell.org Forum Index -> ZeroShell All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: