www.zeroshell.org Forum Index www.zeroshell.org
Linux Distribution for server and embedded devices

SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile  Log inLog in  Log in to check your private messagesPrivate Message 

Zeroshell as a gateway to uncensored internet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
coolnodje

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:15 am    Post subject: Zeroshell as a gateway to uncensored internet Reply with quote

Hi,
Zeroshell seems to have everything needed to be a good internet gateway.
I would like to use it in a country where censorship is pretty strong.

OpenVPN to a remote server is unfortunately not an option anymore, at least not in a standard configuration, authorities have successfully block OpenVPN connection since December 2012.

SSH tunnel on the other hand is a very good compromise, as it is supposedly faster and allow for whitelist/blacklist based connection.

Typically, Privoxy --> SOCKS remote proxy, with a proxy.pac is an efficient enough solution.

My idea is to use Zeroshell to generalize the solution and install it as gateway for a couple of LAN badly in the need for uncensored internet.

Looking at Zeroshell, proxy support does look pretty undeveloped at this stage. HAVP is the only listed proxy, and it seems fully oriented toward transparent LAN antivirus, with no caching or forwarding capabilities.

Opening a tunnel with command line being a given and working fine, the only missing piece would be a Squid and a privoxy or the likes.

Would it be possible to simply install a proxy software package and route traffic toward it?

Would it be possible to forward all traffic to a SOCKS proxy with iptable?

Cheers
baburaj

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also living in a similar country and I have a working setup as you describe, but not using Zeroshell unfortunately.
What country are you in?
Do you know which restrictions they have placed on openvpn? ports or Deep Packet Inspection?
coolnodje

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in China.

They started to block OpenVpn and other solution in december 2012.
I'm not sure how they do it. I can change port, it'll work for a short time, then will be block. I've read about solutions consisting of playing with MTU.

ANywaym I've switched to SSH tunnel now, it's good stable and fast, and probably won't ever be blocked.

I've a working setup, but it require devices to go thru a proxy.

I'd like to have a transparent solution that would act as a router, with a blacklist of local website that shouldn't be accessed thru the tunnel.

Zeroshell seems idea for that, except that it doesn't seem to support routing thru an SSH tunnel....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zeroshell.org Forum Index -> ZeroShell All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: