www.zeroshell.org Forum Index www.zeroshell.org
Linux Distribution for server and embedded devices

SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile  Log inLog in  Log in to check your private messagesPrivate Message 

Package SAMBA: usable on Alix board ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PatrickB

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:30 pm    Post subject: Package SAMBA: usable on Alix board ? Reply with quote

Hello.

My goal is to replace my old LAN master, made of a hacked WRT54G router with some packages from the NSLU2 project.

I have a SAMBA server on that microscopic file system , that suffices to be the Windows "BrowseMaster" for my LAN and make the "neighborhood" work...

So I was blown Shocked by the size of the SAMBA for ZS (35Mb), and actually I cannot even download it: failed at 43% with "No space left on device".

I tried on a PC and saw that the archive is actually full of huge binaries... No chance to shrink it to the strictly required.

Could someone really install that on Alix (with no USB disk or delegation to a PC !) and build a basic Windows LAN master with it ?
Is there a special reduced package somewhere ?

Thanks, Best regards.
PatrickB

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:19 am    Post subject: Half a Mbyte should suffice Reply with quote

Hello.

So I had a look at what works in the small router I want to replace, and searched for the equivalent packages for Alix.

Here for instance:
http://downloads.openwrt.org/kamikaze/8.09/x86/packages/

The packages samba-server and samba-common size a total 350Kb.

Then currently I'm searching how to test them for compatibility... A priori they expect their libs to be installed in /usr/lib but it is read-only Mad

Someone has got the secret ?

Thanks, Best regards.
PatrickB

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:17 am    Post subject: Binary compatibility ? Reply with quote

Pffff ! Evil or Very Mad

root@server bin> opkg
bash: /bin/opkg: No such file or directory
Shocked ????????

root@server bin> bash -x /bin/opkg
/bin/opkg: /bin/opkg: cannot execute binary file

root@server bin> file /bin/opkg
/bin/opkg: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), corrupted section header size

root@server bin> file /tmp/work/sbin/smbd
/tmp/work/sbin/smbd: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), corrupted section header size

root@server bin> file /bin/true
/bin/true: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), for GNU/Linux 2.0.0, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), stripped

A priori it would mean that the whole package bank is unusable on this target... Sad news.

Is there someone else in the project with special and reasonable extension wills ? like smbd, wol, logrotate...

Thanks for ideas. Regards.
PatrickB

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:06 pm    Post subject: Found compatible packages Reply with quote

I found a compatible bank of packages here:

http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/syno-i686/cross/stable/

The IPKG here is easy to wget and install manually (as /opt/bin/ipkg) then it just needs /opt/bin to be added to the PATH and the source above to be set in /opt/etc/ipkg.conf...
...and it works !

But the next problem is that /opt falls in /dev/ram2 which is very narrow and of course not persistent. I haven't noticed that before...

What means that the original SAMBA package should simply not be downloaded in the default directory Laughing Confused

OK, now I will move all that to /DB (on /udev/hda3) and it should enable to install the few little tools I need, after a week in the dark.

Hope it helps.
Best regards.
PatrickB

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:12 pm    Post subject: [Solved] Stable config with the extensions I wanted Reply with quote

Hello.

Finally I could setup a valid and persistent config for my first need. I will add some utils later...

I created /DB/opt and installed the ipkg of the bank above inside this persistent directory. Then of course I added the URL in the ipkg.conf and /opt/bin in the path.

I added the following commands to the /etc/rc.local (and enabled it):

# Replace /opt with a link to the persistent one:
cp -dpuR /opt/* /DB/opt
rm -rf /opt
ln -s /DB/opt /opt

# Replace the basic profile with my options:
unalias cp
cp /DB/profile /etc/profile

# Startup Samba:
/opt/etc/init.d/S80samba

This is not a very esthetic integration, but it works and the goal is to forget it.

Actually I use very little of Samba: it just ensures a fast and permanent browsemaster to avoid Netbios delays.

If it can help...

Best regards.
ovcegon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.zeroshell.net%2Fforum%2Fviewtopic.php%3Fp%3D14632&act=url
oslll

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I try different setting, for example now I have set 115200, I don't see anything in Hyperterminal after the initial configuration. If I connect with ethernet cable, neighbour can find, and it allows me to connect, username admin, password empty field, then very quickly (perhaps 5s) it says connection timeout.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zeroshell.org Forum Index -> ZeroShell All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: