www.zeroshell.org Forum Index www.zeroshell.org
Linux Distribution for server and embedded devices

SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile  Log inLog in  Log in to check your private messagesPrivate Message 

Documentation

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Witchdoctor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:24 am    Post subject: Documentation Reply with quote

Hi there;

I've just started experimenting with Zeroshell. Is there any documentation that shows how to set it up properly. Fortunately I have a bit of experience with this kind of software and Have gotten it working. I'd really like some detailed info on setting up the DNS. I have a Windows 2012R2 domain controller that is doing DHCP and DNS and the Zeroshell machine is the alternate DNS. However the domain controller Best Practices Analyzer is complaining that the Zeroshell DNS can not resolve various records like Global Catalog and LDAP.

All and any comments or suggestions greatly appreciated.
WD
gordonf

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:44 am    Post subject: ZS could use a Wiki or something Reply with quote

Documentation for ZS is scattered somewhat. There are a lot of how-tos on the home page and links to docs that ZS users wrote, but nothing cohesive. It seems a Wiki or something similar would be great for documentation.

Sorry, I don't have the hosting space for one, unless you want to have a Wiki or equivalent on a AMD Geode (like Intel Atom) CPU. It'd be slow-going.

As for AD DNS, I made comments on your later post about how AD has two zones (example.com and _msdcs.example.com) and ZS would need to zone-transfer both of these. The ZS DNS server would also need to permit dynamic DNS changes and somehow have the AD domain controller accept changes coming from it, which doesn't work the last time I checked. "Bi-directional zone transfers" (for lack of a better phrase) works in AD because AD itself stores the DNS zones instead of using zone files, and AD replicates those between DCs almost seamlessly.

If an admin wanted to publish their AD DNS zone with ZS (and why not? It'd be a good read-only copy and it would avoid exposing the DCs to the internet,) they could do something like what I do with pan-am.ca. I allow transfers from my DCs to ZS and I tell the registrar to refer to the ZS router's WAN IP as the primary DNS for my domain, but internally I use the DCs as the DNS servers instead. I avoid publishing _msdcs.pan-am.ca though.
--
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zeroshell.org Forum Index -> ZeroShell All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: