www.zeroshell.org Forum Index www.zeroshell.org
Linux Distribution for server and embedded devices

SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile  Log inLog in  Log in to check your private messagesPrivate Message 

[Successful, apparently] 64-bit Kernel running VMware Tools?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gordonf

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:09 am    Post subject: [Successful, apparently] 64-bit Kernel running VMware Tools? Reply with quote

So I just got a 64-bit kernel set up on a VMware VM (Thank goodness this came out before my subscription expired!) and I've yet to try installing VMware Tools on this. I noticed some interesting artifacts though.

For instance, I can install the 64-bit kernel using the temporary profile (60 MB out of 64 MB free, apparently), then select it from the boot manager, but subsequent profiles created or restored say I don't have the 64-bit kernel installed. I would like to make a template like I've made templates before, but I want to know if having the 64-bit kernel loaded and started but using the temporary profile would break anything else.

Has anyone else tried installing VMware Tools on a ZS installation with the 64-bit kernel? I think there are 64-bit binaries on the linux.iso image, so I wonder if switching kernels would break VMware Tools. I suspect the same steps as before would apply.
--

Last edited by gordonf on Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
gordonf

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:06 pm    Post subject: Well, this sucks... /etc/modules isn't a link anymore Reply with quote

In the 64-bit kernel, /etc/modules isn't a symbolic link anymore. This means one critical step (creating a modified /etc/modules with VMware Tools modules added) can't happen easily.

The step in question copies the contents of /lib/modules (linked to /etc/modules since 3.0.0) and then temporarily redirects it to a folder in /DB so the VMware Tools installer can save (or find?) things in it. The post-boot script copies files from this location into /etc, which is in RAM, before it tries launching the Tools process.

Maybe that step isn't needed anymore if /etc/modules is a read/write folder now? Or would I have to go picking through there to find added files now?
--
gordonf

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:45 pm    Post subject: Successful, but now what? Reply with quote

So if I skip re-linking /etc/modules, which isn't even done in the post-boot script, the installation appears to proceed correctly, and the rest of the installation instructions worked. This kernel even has every VMware driver installed, not just the vmxnet3 driver.

Now should I release this? Normally the 64-bit kernel requires a subscription. I'd at least like to have some better people test it.
--
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zeroshell.org Forum Index -> ZeroShell All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: