www.zeroshell.org Forum Index www.zeroshell.org
Linux Distribution for server and embedded devices

SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile  Log inLog in  Log in to check your private messagesPrivate Message 

NICs are only in 100Mb/s mode

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dialsc

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:48 am    Post subject: NICs are only in 100Mb/s mode Reply with quote

Hi all,

I just came around the corner discovering ZeroShell and immediately started playing with it. So far I really like it but there is one thing I do not get rid of and would need a little bit help.

I installed ZeroShell as a guest system on my XenServer version 5.6. The network interfaces discovered are only running und 100 Mb/s although they are based on 1Gb/s interfaces. There are several other Linux guest systems deployed on that XenServer and they all do work fine with 1Gb/s interfaces.

The NIC type reported by ZeroShell in the WebUI is: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8100/8101L/8139 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter (rev 20)

Is there anything I can do in order to get the interfaces running under 1Gb/s? This is somehow a blocker for me as I intend to use this installation as the main router between several dedicated network segments and having it running only under 100Mb/s is a NO GO for me.

Greez,

Dirk
gordonf

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:55 pm    Post subject: Can you select a different NIC type for the guest? Reply with quote

I don't use Xen Server, but the first thing that came up on a search for me was that running a guest OS without Xen Tools (like VMware Tools on ESX guests) was not supported. It appears your VM is using an emulated NIC instead of something native.

According to the Xen Wiki it seems kernels 2.6.26 or later should already have kernel drivers for Xen's guest OS NICs. If not, can you change the emulated NIC to an Intel E1000? I saw some versions of Xen have that as an option.
--
dialsc

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, that was actually a very good hint. I was able to find a way to change the emulated NIC type to e1000 instead of the RTL one. Unfortunately this has to be done by somehow hacking the XenServer installation like described here: http://www.netservers.co.uk/articles/open-source-howtos/citrix_e1000_gigabit

To be honest, although this approach works, it is not what I would consider to be the final solution. This "hack" applies to all guest machines without native XEN support.

Do you see any possibility to make the ZeroShell kernel include the needed XEN related stuff in order to get it working the way it is supposed to do? Even much cooler would be if those xen-tools could be installed as well... Wink

Thx n greez,

Dirk
gordonf

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:00 am    Post subject: Searching for large mallet for Xen devs Reply with quote

I'd just as soon keep the e1000 hack in place if I were a Xen admin. This is a severe artificial limitation in my opinion. I don't suppose dd-wrt or pfsense (Zeroshell competitors) include Xen drivers?

Maybe buying a subscription from Fulvio might convince him to include Xen drivers in a kernel package, much like he did for Hyper-V that had a similar problem until recent releases (3.3.0?) included Hyper-V support. Then we could put together a Xen Tools hack similar to the VMware Tools hack to solve the rest of it.

[02 MAR 2015] Ask, and ye shall receive, apparently. Fulvio released a 64-bit kernel with Xen drivers today. Does this help?
--
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zeroshell.org Forum Index -> ZeroShell All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: