www.zeroshell.org Forum Index www.zeroshell.org
Linux Distribution for server and embedded devices

SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile  Log inLog in  Log in to check your private messagesPrivate Message 

time server issue

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrmCa

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:28 pm    Post subject: time server issue Reply with quote

Fulvio,

Every time DST kicks in, the machines on the network still use old time.

I go into the time settings in ZS and the system time is always correct.
Previously I rebooted ZS box and the network machines picked up new time shortly.

This time I simply hit Change, then Save and the same thing happened without reboot.

So it looks like NTP daemon is oblivious to the fact that DST kicked in and keeps serving old time until ZS is rebooted or time is saved.
gordonf

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:24 pm    Post subject: Do you have the correct time zone selection? Reply with quote

At least on a VM running 3.3.2 set for the America/Chicago time zone (UTC -6), DST changes occur when they're supposed to.

Different cities in the time zone list will have different DST rules. America/Winnipeg changes to DST following American DST rules, but America/Regina does not since the Province of Saskatchewan doesn't use DST (they sit right on top of a natural time zone boundary, making DST not worth the energy savings).

On a VM you'll also want to make sure the VM host doesn't change the CMOS clock under the feet of the guest OS. In VMware this involves hacking a few lines into the VM's config file.

In a side note, I imagine many Winnipeg and Regina residents would be appalled to be lumped in together with Americans. :-p
--
DrmCa

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in Toronto. Our EST is pretty much standard.
It changes to/from DST just fine, but does not serve new time to the LAN NTP clients, that's the problem.
DrmCa

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another DST change occurred, and again the firewall rules were applied at the "old" time. Sad

It looks like NTP server now serves correct time to the LAN NTP clients. Very Happy

Refreshing NTP or applying new time did not help. Sad

Only the cold reboot of the box applied the FW rules at correct time. Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zeroshell.org Forum Index -> ZeroShell All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: