www.zeroshell.org Forum Index www.zeroshell.org
Linux Distribution for server and embedded devices

SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile  Log inLog in  Log in to check your private messagesPrivate Message 

losing communication with modem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
retrofit

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:12 am    Post subject: losing communication with modem Reply with quote

I have been using zeroshell for a while. I don't really know much about it and I am not very proficient at networking, but it has been working well and i like having all of these amazing features, even if I don't use them. Recently, I setup a second SSID, throttled it down to 500kb/s using QoS, configured a second DHCP range on a different subnet, and configured the firewall to drop all packets originating from one interface, and bound for the other.

The idea of all of this was to provide a guest network, that would allow visitors to use the internet without disrupting my traffic or accessing any of my machines. Since then I have been experiencing trouble. ZS seems to be losing its connection to the modem. When this happens I cannot access the internet. All of my internal traffic is fine. I can fix it by logging into ZS, and renewing the IP address of the modem facing interface. I am not sure what is causing this, but I would love to get it resolved.

The hardware is an old P3 coppermine @1GHz with 512MB RAM.
retrofit

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update. I have noticed that this problem seems to show up during periods of inactivity. I have added this line:

ping -i 60 google.com &

to the startup script. I don't know if it will solve the problem, but I will continue to post updates here, in the hope that it will be helpful to others.
retrofit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did not work.
retrofit

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying it again. This time I have modified a script that will call dhclient when a ping fails. I have used cron to run this every minute.
retrofit

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

success!

The script uses ping to test the connect and if the test fails it calls dhclient. I scheduled to run every minute with cron. Two days have passed without a problem. This is really more of a work-around than a fix, but it's good enough for now.

Thanks to everyone who helped create this fine product. I hope these posts help someone.
Yhoni

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

retrofit wrote:
success!

The script uses ping to test the connect and if the test fails it calls dhclient. I scheduled to run every minute with cron. Two days have passed without a problem. This is really more of a work-around than a fix, but it's good enough for now.

Thanks to everyone who helped create this fine product. I hope these posts help someone.

Thank you very much for the information and your work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zeroshell.org Forum Index -> ZeroShell All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: