www.zeroshell.org Forum Index www.zeroshell.org
Linux Distribution for server and embedded devices

SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile  Log inLog in  Log in to check your private messagesPrivate Message 

Use Samba as WINS Server

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cdpearce

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:14 pm    Post subject: Use Samba as WINS Server Reply with quote

I would like to retire an ancient computer that is acting as a WINS server for my network. I don't have the network configured as a Windows domain. It's just a giant Workgroup. But, for various reasons I have sub-divided the network into different network segments using VLANs. The WINS server allows computers in one network segment to show up in the Network Neighborhood of another network segment.

I tried just adding the line:
wins support = yes
to the smb.conf file. I then set a couple of machines up to use the ZS box as their WINS server, but they did not see each other. So, seems like there's more to it than that. Note, I already customized the firewalls of the machines so that this activity is not restricted to the local subnets, and they do see each other across the subnet boundaries when configured to use the existing WINS server.

By the way, how do you restart the Samba service? It does not seem to have been implemented through init.d. So, "service samba restart" doesn't work.

Any ideas?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zeroshell.org Forum Index -> ZeroShell All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: