www.zeroshell.org Forum Index www.zeroshell.org
Linux Distribution for server and embedded devices

SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile  Log inLog in  Log in to check your private messagesPrivate Message 

Max Internet speeds halved

View previous topic :: View next topic  
deamon_knight

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 9:06 pm    Post subject: Max Internet speeds halved Reply with quote

I'm running Zeroshell 3.0.0, and after a day or two of uptime , my maximum Internet speeds are being halved. My ISP supplies me with 15Mbit download, and several internet speed tests confirm this speed when a computer is connected directly to my Cable Modem.

When running through my Zeroshell system, I get the same full speed, 15 Mbit (as reported by internet speed tests) , but after a few days, I find that my internet speeds seem slower, and the same internet speed tests report a max download of 7-8 Mbit instead. Upload speeds don't seem to be affected, 1Mbit in both cases. Rebooting the zeroshell system solves the problem for a few days at a time, but it keeps ocurring.

I'm running on an AMD e-350 CPU with 2GB RAM, I have 3 Network interfaces:
WAN on ETH00 Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 06) , this is a DHCP client from my ISP, reports as 100Mb/s Full Duplex.

I have to LAN Interfaces:

ETH00 is (Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8169 PCI Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 10) ) 100Mb/s Full Duplex

and

WLAN00 Atheros AR2413/2414.

ETH00 and WLAN00 are bridged, BRIDGE00 and has an IP of 192.168.10.1

NAT is enabled on ETH01; and BRIDGE00 192.168.10.1 is enabled as a DHCP server. No other features are enabled.

Any suggestion as to why I'm having this problem or how to fix it?

Thanks
Harley Ben

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For clarity can you please post speedtest results? The settings seems fine from here. There shouldn't be any problem with your connection or speed. I have the same setting here on my pc and the speed is just what my ISP provides me.
mariad

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 2:03 pm    Post subject: Speed Reply with quote

What is your internet connection speed?
DrmCa

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I observed this behaviour when my router was connected to the DSL modem via a 100 Mbit USB to Ethernet adapter by DLink. Replaced that with an Intel based PCIe NIC and that solved the problem for good.

You are obviously connecting through a real NIC. I would only recommend replacing Realtek with Intel, but it is unlikely that is your issue. Dunno, sounds odd.

You do not need anywhere near 2 GB RAM. I am running with 256 MB just fine and ZS only peaks around 120 MB. My router has 1.6 GHz Atom now, previously it had a 2.2 GHz Celeron P4. So your hardware should be adequate to the downlink you have.
Harley Ben

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrmCa wrote:
I observed this behaviour when my router was connected to the DSL modem via a 100 Mbit USB to Ethernet adapter by DLink. Replaced that with an Intel based PCIe NIC and that solved the problem for good.

You are obviously connecting through a real NIC. I would only recommend replacing Realtek with Intel, but it is unlikely that is your issue. Dunno, sounds odd.

You do not need anywhere near 2 GB RAM. I am running with 256 MB just fine and ZS only peaks around 120 MB. My router has 1.6 GHz Atom now, previously it had a 2.2 GHz Celeron P4. So your hardware should be adequate to the downlink you have.

PCie NIC?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zeroshell.org Forum Index -> Networking All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: