www.zeroshell.org Forum Index www.zeroshell.org
Linux Distribution for server and embedded devices

SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile  Log inLog in  Log in to check your private messagesPrivate Message 

PAP2T and other VOIP adapters having intermittent problems

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrmCa

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:12 pm    Post subject: PAP2T and other VOIP adapters having intermittent problems Reply with quote

Linksys PAP2T works better than others, but every once in a while it looses registration and requires that each line's port number be changed to any previously unused value. Example: line#1 is 5060, line#2 is 5061, it will not work one day until I change those to 5063 and 5062. Then it will work for another few weeks or months, and lose registration again. I'll then flip lines back to 5060 and 5061 and so on, so forth.

The issue only behind ZS. I am not having any of that in another location behind a soap box router. All with the same ISP and VOIP provider.

Other adapters are having even more problems, but I want to get to the bottom of PAP2T issues first.

Any ideas?
Thank you!
iulyb

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I had this issue and reported it before. Not sure who recommended the fix but conntrack restart fix it for me.

Code:

/usr/local/sbin/conntrack -F
DrmCa

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I understand you correctly, you are probably suggesting restarting conntrack instead of playing with VOIP adapter ports?

Or are you having a script restart it on a regular basis?
iulyb

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrmCa wrote:
If I understand you correctly, you are probably suggesting restarting conntrack instead of playing with VOIP adapter ports?

Yes, that s correct.

Or are you having a script restart it on a regular basis?[/quote]

No need for a script. An entry on crontab will suffice. Also an entry on scritps/cron should be enough.

First you should see if the conntrack restart fix your issue. My PAP died more that 1 year ago and I replaced with an SPA 3102 and on this device it seems that all I need to do is to add this command on post boot entry on ZS, else will not register with the SIP server
Montikore

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can flush the connexion tracking in the web UI, under the firewall menu, connexion tracking tab. may be easier for testing
DrmCa

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it, thanks again!

I prefer setting up something automatic, as no one but myself has access to the router UI and for now users just go to the PAP2T web UI and flip port numbers. I don't want to give them any access to the router.
DrmCa

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="iulyb"]
DrmCa wrote:

No need for a script. An entry on crontab will suffice. Also an entry on scritps/cron should be enough.

Is there web UI for crontab editing?
I see in the main page there is Scripts/Cron entry, it loads up a window where Cron is only mentioned as Crontab Shiboleth and it talks about scheduled updates. Is that where I add the command above to flush conntrack?
iulyb

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iulyb wrote:
DrmCa wrote:

Is there web UI for crontab editing?
I see in the main page there is Scripts/Cron entry, it loads up a window where Cron is only mentioned as Crontab Shiboleth and it talks about scheduled updates. Is that where I add the command above to flush conntrack?

UI has an option to add custom jobs..
On the lower screen there is an "Add job" button, name it PAP and just enter the script command. You will see a new entry named Crontab or Cronjob PAP that will be created having the scheduling available.
The interface is not very intuitive but will do the job.
DrmCa

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it, thanks!

Just wondering why this problem became more frequent with the recent version of ZS. I was only having it every 3-6 months when I was on v.1 and v.2, but now on 3.5 it became a weekly thing. My LAN's internet traffic did increase, and hardware changed from P4 Celeron to Atom. I also gotten rid of the load balanced 2nd DSL line and only have one now, otherwise this is the same profile as 10 years ago.
iulyb

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrmCa wrote:
Got it, thanks!

Just wondering why this problem became more frequent with the recent version of ZS. I was only having it every 3-6 months when I was on v.1 and v.2, but now on 3.5 it became a weekly thing. My LAN's internet traffic did increase, and hardware changed from P4 Celeron to Atom. I also gotten rid of the load balanced 2nd DSL line and only have one now, otherwise this is the same profile as 10 years ago.

Not sure on that, I started with v 2.1 or so on an alix about 7 years ago. At that time I had a PAP, and I don't think it was any contrack just port forwarding on my side. Contrack is supposed to be better and no need for port forwarding.. well when it works. Smile
The version supplied on ZS on my v 2.7 is really really old, 0.9, current version that comes on ubuntu is > 1.4.
We might need to try to compile a new conntrack version and try it
DrmCa

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, so that is why PAP2T did not need any port forwarding!
Fascinating.
On the contrary, Grandstream HT702 simply refused to work if I did not forward all ports it requried. And the funnyest part was that when I repaired PAP2T and put it back in service, ports 5060 and 5061 were still being forwarded to the HT702's IP, but PAP2T still worked on a different IP with those same ports. This device just seems to work no matter what.
Of course now I removed all port forwarding entries for VOIP from NAT, like it used to be back when I was using PAP2T.

How did your PAP die? It may be repairable. Mine went into a cyclic reboot after I shut it down for half an hour to test HT702. Ended up re-soldering one of the power transistors and ceramic capacitors on the phone lines side after finding with a oscope that there was no PWM on its inductor. It works fine again.
iulyb

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My PAP probably died as a result of me but this was a long time ago and now probably has already been recycled Smile.
I used by mistake a different power adaptor so I blow the internal power regulator. I figure out that I shorted something and used a different power adaptor so it was working again for 1 or 2 years then it finally died.
I bought an SPA and set it up to be exactly like the PAP. SPA has an useless cheap router / gateway and only 1 line instead of 2.
Since then I installed CSIP simple app on my smart phones so I use the app on my cell for outgoing and SPA for incoming on my 2 line landline. This setup works well on port 5060 as long as you don't have a lot of calls.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.csipsimple
DrmCa

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I initially set the cron entry for once every 24 hours, but looks like that is not frequent enough, as PAP2T still loses registration once about every week.

For now I set the interval to 1 hour, as running the command manually through the Test button does fix the issue.

The old versions of ZS did not have this issue for sure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zeroshell.org Forum Index -> ZeroShell All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: