www.zeroshell.org Forum Index www.zeroshell.org
Linux Distribution for server and embedded devices

SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile  Log inLog in  Log in to check your private messagesPrivate Message 

tiered services

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zeroshell.org Forum Index -> Request a new feature
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AtroposX

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:12 am    Post subject: tiered services Reply with quote

I've been looking for a solution on an opensource product if it exists, a way for tiered services. Such as having limited bandwidth, and multiple customers, and providing burstable connections. So one person could burst to say, full speed, then drop down to X speed. That feature is working in ZeroShell beta 10 GREAT, absolutely flawless, but... Is there a way to drop down lower. Such as if still downloading something, you get dropped down again, lower and lower. This way, a customer doesn't monopolize a pipe from the other customers. Again, getting an ip to the second tier is great and flawless, but the next, third tier, is the challenge. Any idea, or thoughts please?
fulvio
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can implement a multilevel connection burst of the traffic by using the QoS module of the release 1.0.beta11 of Zeroshell. You have to:

- make all connections start in the DEFAULT QoS class. This have no bandwidth limit.

- create other classes such as LIMIT1, LIMIT2, .... on which you apply progressive bandwidth limits

- By using del field "Traffic per connection more than n MB" assign the connection before to the class LIMIT1, after to the class LIMIT2, ....

For example a download starts in the DEFAULT class without limits, but after 1MB continue in the class LIMIT1 that is limited to 500KB/s. When the download has generated a traffic of 10MB is assigned to the class LIMIT2 limited to 200KB/s.

I hope this is a valid solution for you.

Regards
Fulvio
AtroposX

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your reply. I just tried that, and didn't seem to work properly. I made a limit1 pipe of 500k, and default global of 1.5 megs. A classifier for HTTP that if more than 5megs transfered goes to the class of limit1. That works it drops to the specified class after 5megs. Then I made another class of 256k limit2, and another classifier of http, and more than transfered of 7megs, goes to limit2. After 7megs hits, it still hangs in the limit1 class of 500k. Not sure if there's something I am missing or not. Any response or suggestion is appreciated as always.
fulvio
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sequence in the classifier it is important. You should put before the rule for 256Kb/s and then the rule for 500Kbit/s.

Regards
Fulvio
AtroposX

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The limit1 rule of 500k first at the very top, then limit2, of 256k next, at very bottom, correct. Do the priorities of low, medium, or high make a difference for the classes of limit1 and limit2, by the way?
fulvio
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it is not correct.
At the top of the QoS classifier you must put the rule for limit at 256Kb/s. In the second position, the rule for the limitation of the bandwidth at 500KBit/s. Instead the priority of the class it not so important, but in any case makes sense to assign high priority to the DEFAULT class, medium to the class 500Kb/s and low priority to the other one.

Regards
Fulvio
AtroposX

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much. I foolishly had the classifications backwards, and made no effort to flip them. It works GREAT! I RETRACT THIS POST, since the feature is available. You can also do the same, but for the amount of connections open, to tier down ip's that are running an insane amount of open P2P connections. Again, Great! Zeroshell is an amazing piece of art, thank you Fulvio.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zeroshell.org Forum Index -> Request a new feature All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: