www.zeroshell.org Forum Index www.zeroshell.org
Linux Distribution for server and embedded devices

SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile  Log inLog in  Log in to check your private messagesPrivate Message 

Development vmware image
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
schoopy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:26 pm    Post subject: Development vmware image Reply with quote

Dear Fulvio,

I just spent some time creating a vmware image with all development tar files included. For this purpose I had to change the partition format from iso9660 to ext2 so that read/write access will be possible. Several changes in the booting scripts were also necessary.
Changes were also made to obtain a larger image (2GB) so that partition could just be later dd with new version as I had to completely reinstall everything when upgrading from beta11 to beta12. Providing the iso9660 partition had been bigger I could just have dd the new one. Note that the boot partition is not an issue as there is still sufficient space

It actually went fine although I have not tried yet any compiling.
My question is as follow:
Do you commit having this image available to others so that we could all work on upgrading packages such as ipsec and others.

I am aiming at nweer version of ipsec in order to have l2tp with Vista working because up to now I am stuck with phase 2 problem:
ERROR: unknown notify message, no phase2 handle found.

Many thanks and keep me inform.

Last edited by schoopy on Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:20 am; edited 1 time in total
schoopy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am very sorry I mispelled your name!!!
aseques

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to see the changes in the scripts you did more than the image itself, it's interesting to have this information at han, altought I personally don't use vmware.
I was on that route myself, but end up on other stuff more urgent Sad
schoopy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:19 pm    Post subject: Changes are minor Reply with quote

In fact the problem is in two locations:
1. /etc/fstab in rootfs which has /cdrom with iso9660 format and read only -> ext2 rw
2. linuxrc in initrd.gz in isolinux (boot partition), the script goes over the /proc/ide/hd? files and check whether it is a CDROM or not. if so the partition is mounted under /cdrom. Of course it will not see hda2 therefore I forced it by adding a couple bash lines after Fulvio's. It is crappy but does the job in order to load the hda2 in ext2 format.
fulvio
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you send me the url where the image you prepared is available from?
In that case I can put a link to the download page.

Regards
Fulvio
fulvio
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you send me the url where the image you prepared is available from?
In that case I can put a link to the download page.

Regards
Fulvio
schoopy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:50 am    Post subject: FYI Reply with quote

FYI

I corrected a few missing header files and tried compiling ipsec-tools 0.7.2.
Everything went fine and works great.

Correcting racoon.conf from a previous post, I can now connect several times without rebooting ipsec from a windows VISTA.
schoopy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:39 am    Post subject: Image available to download for a definite amount of time Reply with quote

Dear All,

I finally built a vmware image dedicated to development. Unfortunately the image size is about 1.5 GB. it can be found at http://130.223.122.55/~tschuepb/ZeroShell/.

The image is composed of 4 partitions in ext2 format. The last one is sufficient to hold gcc 4.3.2 and contains an ISO directory where makeiso.sh will build a new Z iso image for standard Zeroshell.
Due to compatibility I did not automount the last one in /opt, therefore the user is asked to do it manually by first creating /opt (mkdir /opt) and then mount /dev/hda4 to it (mount /dev/hda4 /opt).

Finally note that it iso image created with makiso.sh will not copy man, doc and info, so that it will not oversize current Zeroshell beta 12 second partition.
My idea is to make it possible to dd the image to the second partition as a way to upgrade. I will now try to do that with scripts from ssh shell, hence no more pain to upgrade ALIX boards!

Change from original beta 12:

/etc/fstab is modified to account ext2 format in rw , no longer iso9660 in ro. Modification brought to rootfs

linuxrc boot script is modified to mount /dev/hda2. Modification brought to initrd.gz

libtool has been upgraded.

automake has been upgraded.

autoconf has been upgraded.

ipsec-tools has been upgraded to 0.9.8.

cyrus-sasl has been upgraded to 2.1.23 using new ipsec-tools.
schoopy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:42 am    Post subject: Image available to download for a definite amount of time Reply with quote

Dear All,

I finally built a vmware image dedicated to development. Unfortunately the image size is about 1.5 GB. it can be found at http://130.223.122.55/~tschuepb/ZeroShell/.

The image is composed of 4 partitions in ext2 format. The last one is sufficient to hold gcc 4.3.2 and contains an ISO directory where makeiso.sh will build a new Z iso image for standard Zeroshell.
Due to compatibility I did not automount the last one in /opt, therefore the user is asked to do it manually by first creating /opt (mkdir /opt) and then mount /dev/hda4 to it (mount /dev/hda4 /opt).

Finally note that it iso image created with makiso.sh will not copy man, doc and info, so that it will not oversize current Zeroshell beta 12 second partition.
My idea is to make it possible to dd the image to the second partition as a way to upgrade. I will now try to do that with scripts from ssh shell, hence no more pain to upgrade ALIX boards!

Change from original beta 12:

/etc/fstab is modified to account ext2 format in rw , no longer iso9660 in ro. Modification brought to rootfs.
    linuxrc boot script is modified to mount /dev/hda2. Modification brought to initrd.gz
    libtool has been upgraded.
    automake has been upgraded.
    autoconf has been upgraded.
    ipsec-tools has been upgraded to 0.7.2.
    openssl has been upgraded to 0.9.8.
    cyrus-sasl has been upgraded to 2.1.23 using new openssl.
fulvio
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you write a piece of documentation about the use of this VMware image and the makeiso.sh script so I can link it in the documentation page of Zeroshell?

Regards
Fulvio
schoopy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:43 am    Post subject: No problem Reply with quote

Dear Fulvio,

I will as soon as I manage to do a remote upgrade of /dev/hda2 from a given new CDROM.iso.
Currently I am able to do it from console without problem, just need to try that from a remote ssh. This way upgrade from ALIX will not require any more opening of the box, unscrewing of the board to access the CF card.
Note that from a serial connection it is already manageable using a USB key holding the ISO image.

Now since we are at it, any reason other than ease that make you choose Zisofs rather than squashfs.
Furthermore what do you thing of setting the size of the second partition to big enough value such as 200 MB so that we will not have any issue for upgrade?

Best regards,

Thierry
ran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Image available to download for a definite amount of tim Reply with quote

schoopy wrote:
Dear All,

For convert vmware image Zeroshell-dev-beta12-vmware.tar.bz2 to hdd image:
Code:
bunzip2 Zeroshell-dev-beta12-vmware.tar.bz2
tar -xvf Zeroshell-dev-beta12-vmware.tar
cd Zeroshell-dev-beta12-vmware
qemu-img convert -O raw Zeroshell4GB-cl1-000009-cl1.vmdk Zeroshell4GB-cl1-000009-cl1.hdd
For mount image partitions:
Code:
losetup /dev/loop0 Zeroshell4GB-cl1-000009-cl1.hdd
kpartx -a -v /dev/loop0
mkdir /mnt/p1
mkdir /mnt/p2
mkdir /mnt/p3
mkdir /mnt/p4
mount /dev/mapper/loop0p1 /mnt/p1
mount /dev/mapper/loop0p2 /mnt/p2
mount /dev/mapper/loop0p3 /mnt/p3
mount /dev/mapper/loop0p4 /mnt/p4
Unmount:
Code:

unmount /mnt/p1
unmount /mnt/p2
unmount /mnt/p3
unmount /mnt/p4
kpartx -d /dev/loop0
losetup -d /dev/loop0
fulvio
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just added a link to this useful thread on the documentation page.

Thanks
Fulvio
schoopy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:10 am    Post subject: Development image Reply with quote

Dear all,

For those who downloaded the image, you will notice some issue with radius server not finding the libltdl.so.3. This is a mistake I did when replacing libtool.
In order to correct it you will need to add libltdl.so.3.1.0 in /usr/lib as well as a link to it called libltdl.so.3,

Also, despite several attempts to run L2TP/IPSEC, I have it running with VISTA as long as the client is ran from an identical subnet, or at least close to. Attempts from the internet which should not be behind NAT do fail.
I have no clue about this and it gets me crazy so if anyone has an idea, please tell me! Seems as if VISTA is doing NAT traversal in transport mode where it is not suppose to!

Regards,

Schoopy
schoopy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:32 am    Post subject: libltdl.so.3 for radius Reply with quote

Dear all,

For ease I put libltdl_fix.tar.gz file to correct my mistake. Simply do
Code:

cd /
tar xvfz libltdl_fix.tar.gz .

and files should be extracted at correct place (/usr/lib).

Fulvio, I noticed that links within /usr/lib to libraries located in /lib/ are made with path ../../lib/xxx, this is not working since /usr/ is itself linked to /cdrom/usr. Therefore libraries are not found because they look in /cdrom/lib instead of /lib.
(/cdrom/usr/lib/../../lib -> /cdrom/lib != /lib). I already started relinking with path /lib/xxx instead after I noticed error when compiling some softwares such as freeradius.
Another thing is how do you work with libdiet and when did you do it, there are issues with libtool and dynamic libraries. At some places I had to force -ldl-2.8 in order for the compiling to work. Furthermore, when I did compile freeradius 2.xxx everything went ok provided --enable-system-libtool was set, but still modules do not seem to be able to load. We must have an issue with libdl. Any idea? Thanks

Regards

Schoopy

Last edited by schoopy on Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:23 am; edited 1 time in total
schoopy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:11 am    Post subject: Upgrading an ALIX board w/o serial and from remote ssh Reply with quote

Dear all,

As an ALIX board user, I was always bothered with opening the ALIX case, unscrewing everything to get access to the CF card, replacing the image and rebuilding it all.
I have finally figured out a way to get rid of that trouble!

Problem is in the second partition being a Z iso image mounted under /cdrom. You cannot access it from dd if not previously unmounted. The latter cannot be done from remote since ssh lies within the mounted image. So unless you want to do it manually from a serial connection, this is not possible for several reasons!
1. you would have to copy all the SSH required files within RAM under /(bin,sbin,etc).
2. You would have to stop all services without killing SSH and since this is done with the use of killall5, SSH gets killed since the script calling killall5 is not having the SSH pid! Trying without killall5 is fastidious if we want it to work for all cases, all services would have to be checked!

But by having either another partition of your CF card mounted under /mnt (for example) or a USB key holding the new CDROM.iso file you can trick the system reboot.

This is how it works:

I added a new script file in /etc/init.d, /etc/init.d/upgrade, and linked it in /etc/rc.d/rc6.d which holds what should be done during reboot.
Therefore right before unmounting the file system K60mountfs you add a link to upgrade (k55upgrade -> ../init.d/upgrade).
The system will thus have completely destroy all services allowing you to correctly unmount /cdrom, do your task of upgrading, and then terminate the reboot.

This is the upgrade script file I used (it is not checking anything and expects CDROM.iso to be in /mnt/):

Code:

#!/bin/bash

IMAGE_DEV=/mnt
IMAGE_NAME=CDROM.iso

echo "Upgrading /dev/hda2 to image in $IMAGE_NAME"

umount /cdrom
dd if=$IMAGE_DEV/$IMAGE_NAME of=/dev/hda2
mount -a

I did try several times using image created from the dev kit from my work directly to my home through the internet and it worked great.

DISCLAIMER : THE NEW IMAGE SIZE HAS TO BE SMALLER THAN THE PARTITION DEDICATED TO IT OTHERWISE YOUR DATA PLACED IN THE THIRD PARTITION WILL BE SMASHED!!!
LESS THAN 145 MB IS OK, IN FACT A BIT MORE BUT WE KEEP SOME MARGIN HERE

Upon reboot, the upgrade file will have disappear since it is placed in the RAM root /.

Note that the idea could also be used for ALIX board to get completely upgraded provided a USB key holds the full disk image!

Regards,

Schoopy
zevlag

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schoopy,

I know many of us would really love a tutorial/walkthrough on how exactly to do this. This is a feature that is much desired.
schoopy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear zevlag,

As Fulvio already asked, I will try to write a tutorial on the use of the dev vmware image. However I would also have some scripts allowing the creation of CF card image as well. So far I have not completely found a way to do it in a file (lack of knowledge here!).
Furthermore there are still many problems with the dev image regarding software compilation (dietlib, libdl, etc...).

For the upgrade the above script should be enough to go through provided you have the CDROM.iso. Of course it requires manual work.

My idea is to work on larger CF card as those are now so cheap and allow enough space for the second partition to be upgradable without size issue. Something like 200 MB would be good.
Note that we could also avoid having isolinux and thus the size of twice the kernel and initrd image, as in any case the boot is done from the first partition on the CF card.
However I suspect the ISO image is also used for the CDROM mode.

As you can see many things are possible. I saw many people requests which I could already integrate in a new CDROM.iso of 150MB.
This includes adding boot time sync for ALIX without battery, racoon.conf set for VISTA L2TP/IPSEC, etc...
Give me some time to create a new CF card image of lets say 2GB allowing later upgrade.

Schoopy
schoopy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:22 am    Post subject: Development plateform within vmware Reply with quote

Dear All,

The development platform is almost ready for publishing. This consists of a vmware image of a modified CF card image with Ext2 partition format. So far I have made several upgrades of packages such as cyrsu-sasl, openssl, autoconf, automake, libtool and kernel 2.6.30.3.
Scripts have been added to ease the creation of new rootfs, correct ext2 initrd and generation of new compressed Z iso images.
There are still some issues with some links that I have to fix but this is minor.
I expect to be able to publish the platform soon under another web site with authentication (if I can manage that). You may have noticed that the above link is no longer available.
The reason is quite simple. Indeed and with Fulvio's agreement, we shall not provide it publicly in order to avoid the spreading of tons of versions that will no longer be manageable. However you are welcome to participate in the development of new add-ons or updates by letting us now and I shall provide access to the development package.

I am investigating the possibility to use SVN to sync the different vmware dev images as the size is too large to allow full download (>1.5GB).
Note that this is still open and I will be more than happy to have your suggestions on how sync or packages could be done. Thanks.

Best regards,

Schoopy
hceuterpe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any reason why those files are absent from your web server?

I was looking for those..
Thanks.
kawarmc

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:37 am    Post subject: New features will rapidly become available Reply with quote

Letting other developers download kind of a development image wil increase the addition of new features to this wonderful piece of software. By the way, thanks for the great job Fulvio.

As an example, we are now researching on the implantation of zeroshell for our organization and there is one feature we are missing. There is no way to automate backups.

We have a couple of coders that could implement a solution based on rsync over ssh but we have no idea how to begin the development. That is: is the whole project licesed under GNU? are the sources available, where?

The VMware image looks promising, but I guess Fulvio did not use a VMWare image when begun coding, so, how do you do it? :O

If needed, we can provide hosting space to hold the svn and that stuff, but isn't it better to host it at sourceforge?
Mahoru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
I need some help, i want to use the image to update the kernel of an soekris box (i have buy an wifi n card, ath9k driver). But the new kernel dose not load (the old with the new CD Image load fine). Can you regenerate a kernel witch load with soekris box, thanks.
schoopy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:13 am    Post subject: Soekris Box Reply with quote

Not having a soekris box, I cannot really be of much help.
I do not know why it does not work, though I am currently trying it on an Alix.
Maybe it is a general problem, if not the kernel takes its argument from Fulvio's, hence I do not understand what could be wrong.
Could you point me to some extra features for the kernel configuration?

Schoopy
mr.Addams

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

schoopy, can you correct rights on your ftp to make downloading of your image possible?

Code:

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /~tschuepb/ZeroShell/Image.tar.bz2 on this server.

Thanx.. Rolling Eyes
schoopy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:18 pm    Post subject: New internet address for download Reply with quote

Hi all,

It seems the target is no longer available from my work place.
So here is another link on my ongoing web page:
New Image location 5.5GB

Whenever I found time I will put more info on the www.hbar.ch Zeroshell structure.

Sorry for that
mr.Addams

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get it. Thanx...
stone76567

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi..
thanks for all the information ive learned in this site..
btw im new here..
thanks a lot and God Bless..
Jiellen29

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great site here....Thank you for sharing some info....

Have a great day to all!!!
AtroposX

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to Schoopy and his development vmware image, here is my step-by-step on being able to compile a driver from source...

#In VirtualBox, create a new machine, when asked to use an existing hard disk or create a new one, choose use an existing one, and point it to Schoopy's development image, and boot as normal. Remember, to put all developer stuff on root of flash drive, glibc, gcc, static, your custom files, etc... Or alternatively use ftp to put the files on the /cdrom directory, rather than a usb flash drive. below will be for using a VirtualBox image, and a usb flash drive on the host machine.

#In the console, after fully booted, check to see what device the flash drive is.

fdisk -l

#/dev/sda1 <- This is the USB Flash drive, "usually".

#Make a flash drive directory, "/mnt/"something"".

mkdir /mnt/flash

#Mount usb flash drive contents to /mnt/flash directory.

mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/flash

#Go to /cdrom

cd /cdrom

#Copy usb flash drive contents from /mnt/flash, to /cdrom

cp /mnt/flash/* /cdrom

#Expand the developer files and your custom ones too.

tar xvfj binutils-2.17-i386.tar.bz2
tar xvfj gcc-4.3.2-zs-i386.tar.bz2
tar xvfj gcc-include.tar.bz2
tar xvfj glibc-2.8-includes-zs.tar.bz2
tar xvfj static-lib.tar.bz2
tar xvfz custom.tar.gz

#Go into your custom directory that just got expanded.

cd /custom

#Run "make clean", and "make all", or how you need to compile your source.

make clean

make all

#DONE!

#Hope this helps.
AtroposX

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The developer image can be re-sized pretty easily as well to accommodate for larger space for building if needed.

You can also make a new blank VBox image in the size of say 50gigs or whatever you'd like, then in the VBox machine settings set the developer image as IDE and the blank image as SATA, and choose GParted-Live as the cd.

Boot from the GParted-Live CD, and choose the developer image as the device, and right-click and copy the farthest left partition, then choose the blank image as the device, and right-click in the unallocated space, and choose paste. Do this for each partition working your way right.

Then if needed, re-size the partitions to your liking, then click apply at the top, and wait a long time. It took quite a while to re-size the 4gig developer image to a 50gig image, making each of the partitions around 12gigs each, completely unnecessary I know, but just wanted to see if cloning/re-sizing the image would still boot, and it does.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zeroshell.org Forum Index -> ZeroShell All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: