www.zeroshell.org Forum Index www.zeroshell.org
Linux Distribution for server and embedded devices

SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile  Log inLog in  Log in to check your private messagesPrivate Message 

Load balancer failover fail to work with PPPOE - IPv6 bridge

View previous topic :: View next topic  
olivier1010

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:03 pm    Post subject: Load balancer failover fail to work with PPPOE - IPv6 bridge Reply with quote

I've discovered today a small bug with the load balancer when used with a PPPOE interface.

After a ethernet link down, or a PPPOE session down, the status of the gateway link stay at "Fault".

I need to manually issue a PPPOE down in the interface list, and up.

Then the status is updating and the gateway take back his role.

I have to say that i'm using a supplementary interface ETh interface to be able to access the local IP of the modem for configuration purpose. (eth interface with an IP + nat so that we can access the modem web interface). Perhaps this does cause problems with the load balancer status system ?

You will say me wy am i using PPPOE, when we can do it in the router.

Well; because it is mandatory to use PPPOE from the router to get Ipv6, when your provider give you IPv6 as a second pppoe session.

As almost no modem on the market is IPv6 compliant, there is no other solution to get a native IPv6 connection from a consumer grade modem than controling PPPOE from the router.

Getting IPv6 from a PPPoe session is very simple, there is just a "," to add in the pppoe config file.

Then we can do a bridge between the pppoe interface and the lan interfaces to distribute IPv6 in the network :

Create the bridge :

brctl addbr br0
ifconfig br0 up

Adding interfaces to the bridge :

brctl addif br0 eth0
brctl addif br0 ppp0

Then restrict the bridge to IPv6 :

ebtables -t broute -A BROUTING -p ! ipv6 -j DROP

Then add radvd deamon on the router to advertise the /64 or /48 IPv6 prefix your provider gave you to the LAN machines, so that they can autoconfigure with an IPv6 adress.

Olivier.
meaje

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:40 pm    Post subject: Radvd? Reply with quote

Anyone have a take on whether or not radvd is available in the current version (3.3.x)? If so can I push an IPv6 routed subnet out to clients, or do I need to install a major OS like Red Hat, or CentOS, possibly even Debian / Ubuntu for routing an IPv6 subnet. I would prefer not to have to create one hell of a lot of custom code to handle the Captive Portal for which I would prefer to use an off the shelf / already existing solution.

Thanks in advance,

Jeff Means
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zeroshell.org Forum Index -> ZeroShell All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: