www.zeroshell.org Forum Index www.zeroshell.org
Linux Distribution for server and embedded devices

SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile  Log inLog in  Log in to check your private messagesPrivate Message 

net5501-70 Board & Case + lan1641

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gedw99

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:54 am    Post subject: net5501-70 Board & Case + lan1641 Reply with quote

I need to run zeroshell, and partition up the network with 6 vlans.

http://soekris.eu/shop/net5501/net5501_70_board_case_lan1641_en.html

I am looking at this because it has extra lan ports, and i am hoping it allows me to avoid having a downstream switch.

Can anyone comment about this.
atheling

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't speak for the lan1641 card, but I have two net5501 boxes. One has been running Astlinux for over a year now. The second is a month or so old and running Zeroshell. On the Zeroshell box I have a generic 1 gig Ethernet adaptor installed to give me a total of 5 ports (2 WAN, 3 LAN) and am running three separate LAN segments. Works pretty well. Quiet, low power usage. So far no hardware issues at all on either box.

The CPU loading is higher on the Zeroshell box (0.04 0.12 0.09) than on the Astlinux box (0.00, 0.00, 0.00). I don't know if adding more Ethernet ports on Zeroshell would affect CPU usage or not.

My Zeroshell box replaced an old Xincom 502 dual WAN router. On my primary provider the Xincom topped out at 20 Mbps download. Same link, same time of day with the net5501 running Zeroshell gets me 30 Mbps. That is all the ISP claims is available so I don't know if it will handle higher speeds than that. I am not running VPNs, I am sure that would slow things down.

One downside of more Ethernet interfaces is that the graphics unlock codes are based on the MAC address. I think (don't know because I'm not using VLANS) that if you ran all your LANs as VLANs off one interface you'd only need one unlock code for the pretty pictures. Putting them on separate adaptors would mean you need codes for each. I only bothered getting unlock codes from Fluvio for my two WAN interfaces.
gedw99

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atheling,

thnsk for the detail ino.

1. You need unlock codes for more than 2 eth devices ?? I thought this project was opne ? Are you sure ?

2. I have 200 mbit fibre connection. I should have mentioned this inthe first email. This is in Sweden, and 100 mbit is becoming quite common in the cities.
This is why i was asking about speed using the soekris boxes. Few commercial routers can handel this properly unless you pay big bucks.
I really want to use zeroshelll so i have the functionality i need.

I am thinking of using a dual atom nettop, do the vlan trunking on it, and a downstream switch that supports vlans now. I dont see any other way right now.
JC

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just email and ask for a new code per interface
atheling

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gedw99 wrote:
atheling,

thnsk for the detail ino.

1. You need unlock codes for more than 2 eth devices ?? I thought this project was opne ? Are you sure ?

You can use all interfaces. To get the graphical history of what your box is doing on those interfaces via the "Multi Router Traffic Grapher" you will need codes from Fluvio. I got my codes by submitting some software improvements for the next release. According to the main part of the web site you can also get codes by contributing some money to help defray costs. Seems strange I know. And I think progress would be faster if Fluvio setup a SVN server and let people directly contribute. But it's Fluvio's project and he is running it his way and he has come out with a product good enough for me so I will not complain too loudly.

gedw99 wrote:

2. I have 200 mbit fibre connection. I should have mentioned this inthe first email. This is in Sweden, and 100 mbit is becoming quite common in the cities.
This is why i was asking about speed using the soekris boxes. Few commercial routers can handel this properly unless you pay big bucks.
I really want to use zeroshelll so i have the functionality i need.

I am thinking of using a dual atom nettop, do the vlan trunking on it, and a downstream switch that supports vlans now. I dont see any other way right now.

May I say that I am jealous of your bandwidth? Smile

I don't know the protocol your fiber network uses, but if it is something like ATM or Fibrechannel you can use all the bandwidth that is there. Ethernet bogs down if you load it anywhere near its rated speed (this is somewhat mitigated if you are running a point-to-point with the appropriate duplex setting).

The net5501 has only 10/100 Ethernet interfaces so even if the CPU could handle it I think the interface would be a bottleneck. You probably need something that has a 10/100/1000 Ethernet on it. I doubt the net5501 will handle your speed requirements.

Rumor has it that Soekris will be introducing a new product early next year that has 10/100/1000 Ethernet interfaces and a GHz rated dual core processor. If/when that box comes out Soekris might have something for you. But if you want to buy now, I don't think Soekris has anything that will be fast enough for you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zeroshell.org Forum Index -> ZeroShell All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: