www.zeroshell.org Forum Index www.zeroshell.org
Linux Distribution for server and embedded devices

SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile  Log inLog in  Log in to check your private messagesPrivate Message 

LAN-LAN VPN Bonding over multiple 3G modems...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
happyuser

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:40 pm    Post subject: LAN-LAN VPN Bonding over multiple 3G modems... Reply with quote

Hi there,

i intend to build a VPN Bond combining 1x weak DSL Line and 1 or more 3g/UMTS modems for a live webcast event.
As far as i know, Zeroshell allows building a VPN Bonds to get higher throughput and besides, failover feature. (like http://www.ieee754.org/ and others)

So far i was able to set up VPN using the DSL gateway without any problems. As soon as i direct the same VPN connection over the 3G instead of the DSL, it won't connect.
All german 3G providers (vodafone, t-com, o2 etc.) only give private ip adresses (NAT by provider) so that there is no way to reach the 3g device through ip nor dyndns from the internet. I guess that this might be part of the problem. At the server site, i left the "Remote Host" entry empty, caus as described i have no reachable public IP.

I hoped that the client initiates the connection and thus NAT doesn't really matter. But i might be on the wrong track...

Any idea what i could change to be successful!?

Appreciate you help!

happyuser

Last edited by happyuser on Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
renato.morano

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,

there are two howto in italian ....

-http://www.zeroshell.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=586
-http://www.renatomorano.net/?p=922

this work only if you have an pubblic IP on DSL side.

on configuration server vpn (side DSL):
http://www.renatomorano.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/VPN00serverrole.png

on configuration client vpn ( sede 3g):
http://www.renatomorano.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/VPN00CLIENT1.png
happyuser

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

thank you for providing the instructions - thanks to google for translating them Wink
As i just found out, the problem was on the server side. For testing purpose, i initially set up a a VM running ZS on a virtualization server behind a standard ISP router. All i did is to forward the VPN ports to the external NIC of the ZS VM and besides activated the router's VPN passthrough feature. But as i described earlier, this setup would somehow only allow a VPN (LAN-LAN) connection initiated from a DSL client and not from those clients connecting via a 3G modem.

Today i did a second approach using a fresh SZ Barebone as VPN server, directly connected to the DSL using a pure modem and PPPoE dial in.
And as you may guess, all my VPN test clients (no matter wether DSL or. 3G) directly connected. Great!

Now to the tricky part...

I want to achieve a mobile Video-Broadcasting unit, that uses multiple 3G modems (and if on-site available a local WLAN / DSL...) to allow constant video streaming for live events. All the video and distribution part is been approved on several events so far, but we always had a proper DSL connection to build on. A single 3G connection does not offer enough throughput (we need about 1Mbit) and is a single point of failure.

There is expensive professional hardware (like www.viprinet.com) that would cover all our needs, but is beyond our budget so far.

So time to get ZS up an running providing all those features needed. Possible?

With the working VPN through 3G modems i was then today able to set up a small barbone that uses 2 separate 3G modems, that connect to my fresh ZS VPN server. I followed the 1-n instruction on http://www.ieee754.org/ to build the bonded VPN's, configured the Load Balancer, assigned IP's from the the same subnet to the bonds on both sides and configured static routes (see document).

No i'm total stuck on how to set up the computer that does the streaming (is on a dedicated subnet on a spare eth port with dhcp etc.) to sent all traffic trough the bonded VPN tunnels using the gateway on the server side.
This routing stuff is new to me and i couldn't find a proper manual that discribes this very issue.

To wrap up, the VPN bonding and balancing seems to work but i have problems to set the correct routing on both sides.

Enough for today! I'd appreciate any help and look forward to share a final working solution with the community here.

Greetings from Berlin,

happyuser
rotorway

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:34 am    Post subject: Live video stream over 3G Reply with quote

Dear happyuser, i'm working on the same project that you in France but to carry all the video platform in a drone with the lower weight possible (250/300g max without the power unit).
I've a mini linux web video server with HD 720p video features to make this project with two USB key 3G modems.
I've just seen the Zeroshell solutions who are very good between two hards and heavy platforms but may be not easy to work for a mobile solution.
I've tried many others possibilities under Android with openvpn and Gstreamer without success and the wall of the private IP adress on the 3G network is very difficult to solve without use a bigger and higher weight platform..

Have you find some issues who can be a new track for me, please?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zeroshell.org Forum Index -> VPN All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: