www.zeroshell.org Forum Index www.zeroshell.org
Linux Distribution for server and embedded devices

SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile  Log inLog in  Log in to check your private messagesPrivate Message 

HOW DATA secure wireless...?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zeroshell.org Forum Index -> Wireless Networks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GilBytes

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:59 pm    Post subject: HOW DATA secure wireless...? Reply with quote

Greetings,

I have installed zeroshell Release 1.0.beta12 on a Pentium 3 in the following order:

INTERNET ---> MODEMS ADSL ---> ETH001 ---> ZS ---> ETH00 ---> --- >SWITCH 8 PORTS------->on line 02 ACCESS POINT

1. what are the steps for wireless data is safe, and are not read by other people
ppalias

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on the encryption you have set on the access points.
GilBytes

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:45 pm    Post subject: I just want to inform my customers travel by air is safe Reply with quote

I have no security setting on my AP, the idea is that anyone see my advertising on the web login and call me to enter my internet service, then that way I give 01 ticket...

I just want to inform my customers travel by air is safe or encoded

Thank...
ppalias

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wireless hotspots usually are non-secured, cause anyone can connect to them without knowing any passphrases beforehand. So I am afraid that your clients are not secure.
kingmaker

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for sharing..
JC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could enable captive portal on the wireless interface and put the contact info on that login page, the data will still not be secure but only certain individuals will b able to get past the login after they contact u.

to b clear, u wish ppl to c ur webpage from ur network, or is it an online advertisment.
vpn_rollercoaster

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:40 am    Post subject: Re: I just want to inform my customers travel by air is safe Reply with quote

GilBytes wrote:
I have no security setting on my AP, the idea is that anyone see my advertising on the web login and call me to enter my internet service, then that way I give 01 ticket...

I just want to inform my customers travel by air is safe or encoded

Thank...

Terrible advice from those other guys. Just terrible!
I understand what you're trying to accomplish but it will require knowledge of vlans, multiple ssid, 802.1x or some other method of authentication + a preferred encryption.

First thing you want to do is create a guest vlan (untagged) on a switch that is capable of port based vlans or vlan tagging which ever you think is easiest and supported by your hardware.

Next you want to create your guest ssid (broadcast ssid = yes) with no encryption on your access point (map this to your untagged vlan). The capture screen will have your contact details and also allow for unencrypted log on for users.

Here's the part you were missing. You need to create a second vlan on the switch for secure traffic (tagged). Create a new ssid (broadcast ssid = no) on your access point (map this to your tagged vlan). On your capture screen you can have a detail page giving instructions how users can use the secure ssid for encrypted traffic.

Encryption can be TTLS, PEAP, LEAP or some other preferred type.
Don't forget to create corresponding vlans on zeroshell lan interface or you'll be disappointed.

This was accomplished with a cisco aironet 1231G, ovislink FSH2602G and Zeroshell.
proxious

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the heads up
DELETED

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DELETED
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zeroshell.org Forum Index -> Wireless Networks All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: