www.zeroshell.org Forum Index www.zeroshell.org
Linux Distribution for server and embedded devices

SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile  Log inLog in  Log in to check your private messagesPrivate Message 

Captive Portal for Wireless Hotspot

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kenoxi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:57 pm    Post subject: Captive Portal for Wireless Hotspot Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm fairly new to Zero Shell, but with advice of a friend, I have everything routing and working well.

However, with Captive Portal, I'm having some issues.

Essentially, when the public connect to the unsecured wireless network and attempt to visit the web, they get caught by the captive portal (so far so good, as this currently happens), however, I want the users to fill in their name and email and agree to a set of terms and conditions - at that point I want them to be authenticated and allowed to browse the web.

That makes life easy for them and also means there is no human interaction in terms of our staff to get them on the internet.

I also want to collect the name/email as part of the condition of using the service will be that they are signed to our mailing list.

Has anyone got any advice on how I should go about this, as it seems that out of the box, ZeroShell only has a client login to grant access and no way of registering unless you're an admin.

Thanks,

Will.
truthahn

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello, you can try zerotruth ... www.zerotruth.net
kenoxi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I gave it a go, but it wasn't for me.

For reference and those searching in the future.

I solved this by editing the main Captive Portal template. I added a meta refresh tag to forward to wifi.ourdomain.com, which took the users information, and did everything I wanted in PHP. If the user was sucessful in inputting all the correct data they were then forwarded to this URL:

https://172.16.0.1:12081/cgi-bin/zscp?Section=CPAuth&Action=Authenticate&ZSCPRedirect=REDIRECT-URL/:::REDIRECT-URL-WITH-HTTP/%3f&Powered=POWERED-BY-TEXT&RND=RANDOM-NUMBER&U=USERNAME&P=PASSWORD&Realm=DOMAIN

This essentially logs them on with a standard user account. OK, so theres just one user account that everyone uses, that won't work for everyone, but for my needs did the job. It's particularly secure either, but doesn't actually allow the user to do anything other than access the internet as long as you set ZeroShell up correctly.

Once connected and ZeroShell had run the few pages it needed to, they're sent back to the same wifi.ourdomain.com, which using sessions knew they were connected to the internet so displayed their name and that they're connected to the web.

You do of course have to allow wifi.ourdomain.com to be a "free" domain/IP in the Captive Portal settings.

Hope this helps someone, someday.
mgibbons

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Can you tell me what you altered in the Captive Portal template to redirect to a seperate server.

KR's

Mark
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zeroshell.org Forum Index -> ZeroShell All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: