www.zeroshell.org Forum Index www.zeroshell.org
Linux Distribution for server and embedded devices

SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile  Log inLog in  Log in to check your private messagesPrivate Message 

Installation Manager now available

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fulvio
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:05 am    Post subject: Installation Manager now available Reply with quote

Hi,
a new procedure to install easily Zeroshell is available as New Feature for the release 3.0.0. Please read below for more details.
Regards
Fulvio

The Installation Manager allows you to install and configure Zeroshell on storage devices such as:

SATA Disks
IDE Disks
SCSI Disks
Compact Flash and SD Card
USB Flash/Disks (USB 3.0 is supported)

The minimum size of the device where Zeroshell can be installed is 1 GB, but at least 2 GB are recommended to ensure a partition large enough to contain the profile without the risk of a disk full due to logging activities. The Profile Partition will be automatically extended to occupy the entire disk so you will not have to perform manual steps to use all the space available.
You should always prefer the Installed Version instead of the Live CD one. In fact, the former is faster and more reliable than the version on CD. In addition, the Installed Version allows the automatic upgrade to the next release and eventually even the downgrade to the previous one with no effort.
Another advantage of using the Installation Manager is that during the installation process you will be asked for the type of Console (VGA or Serial) and any extra Kernel Parameters if your hardware requires them. You will be able to configure the IP Address, the Default Gateway and the Admin's password to access the new installation.
Keep in mind that, especially on slower devices such as Compact Flash, the installation process using the Installation Manager is much faster and more reliable than manually writing the disk image with the dd shell command.
You can invoke the Installation Manager with the inst-manager command from the shell or by pressing the key A from the Console Menu.

Last edited by fulvio on Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:41 pm; edited 3 times in total
Yhoni

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you vey much.

Regards.
DrmCa

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fulvio,

These are the only packages that are in the available list after I entered the activation key:

48100 Kernel PAE for systems with more than 4GB of RAM 3.4.75 Jan 2, 2014 Add-On
48300 Kernels optimized for AMD Geode LX/GX (ALIX) and Intel ATOM 3.4.75 Jan 2, 2014 Add-On
48500 Kernels optimized for Intel Core2/Xeon and AMD Athlon64/Opteron 3.4.75 Jan 2, 2014 Add-On
48700 Kernels optimized for Intel P4 and AMD Athlon 3.4.75 Jan 2, 2014 Add-On

Should there be more?

Thank you!
fulvio
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should click on the [Check] button to see the updated list.
Regards
Fulvio
DrmCa

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It somehow automatically loaded the available features after all, maybe 12-16 hours since I posted about that.
matthew.a.squires

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:24 am    Post subject: Need instruction on using "Installation Manager". Reply with quote

Is it possible for you provide detail instruction on what is "Installation Manager", where it can be downloaded from and how to use it to install the latest version on a 2GB CF disk and on a SATA Hard Drive from a Windows 8 PC.

I am using a NET5501 appliance and it is currently a Paperweight since I tried to install the latest version of ZeroShell 3.0.0 using physdiskwrite.
DrmCa

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's another package among those available in the admin interface start page. To get optional packages you need to obtain activation code from Fulvio. Then you can install the package and use it to install ZS booted from a CD onto the hard drive attached to the box. Note: you cannot use installation manager if HDD already contains a profile.
32BitDude

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And, I'm sure that I'm just being super-impatient waiting for my activation code. Yet at present I'm waiting on the code to re-configure my lab.

2.0 RC2 for me for now. I can't wait any longer...
matthew.a.squires

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrmCa;

If I am understanding you, the Installation Manager can be found on the ISO version of ZS.
So once I boot to CD on my PC, I will have the option to use the Installation Manager?
32BitDude

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matthew.a.squires wrote:
DrmCa;

If I am understanding you, the Installation Manager can be found on the ISO version of ZS.
So once I boot to CD on my PC, I will have the option to use the Installation Manager?

1. Not available via shell
2. Only using the Package Manager via the Web Interface

You can use it once you can install the package by way of the Setup Manager. The only way to get access to the online repository (where the Install Manager package actually is) is to contribute to ZeroShell (which is fine, and is completely understandable) and then send Fluvio information that you contributed, how you contributed, and the activation code for your copy of ZeroShell.

And, this is the part I'm unclear on: At Some Point, Fluvio will send the activation code. When 'At Some Point' actually is, I'm unsure. Surprised)
matthew.a.squires

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

32BitDude; Thank You for your response..

The issue that I am having is that I am not getting that far. I installed ZS 3.0.0 onto my 2GB CF Card and I insert it into my Soekris NET5501. When I power on my NET5501 and try to access it via 192.168.0.75, nothing happens. I have not changed anything about the way I installed ZS. The only difference is that none of the Download packages state that it is for the Soekris NET5501 boards. So I am beginning to wonder if the Soekris NET5501 boards is not supported in the ZS 3.0.0 version.

Is that correct?
32BitDude

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankly, I don't know. I'd think if 2.0 worked, 3.0 should. But then.... What you are seeing tends to suggest that 3.0 isn't working as expected. I know, Capt. Obvious, right?
matthew.a.squires

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that is the issue, ZS 3.0 is not yet design for Soekris NET5501 boards.
I will ask fulvio if he designed it for Soekris NET5501 boards.

Thank You All....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zeroshell.org Forum Index -> ZeroShell All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: