www.zeroshell.org Forum Index www.zeroshell.org
Linux Distribution for server and embedded devices

SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile  Log inLog in  Log in to check your private messagesPrivate Message 

Wireless support has been added to Zeroshell

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fulvio
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:13 am    Post subject: Wireless support has been added to Zeroshell Reply with quote

In the download section it is available a package which adds WiFi support to Zeroshell. The Client Station and the Access Point modes are both supported.
This release of the WiFi package only works with Wi-Fi cards (miniPCI and PCI) which have the Atheros Communications chipsets supported by the Kernel modules available at http://madwifi.org.
Before to buy a wireless card with Atheros chipset, you should verify its compatibility with madwifi drivers at the URL http://madwifi.org/wiki/Compatibility
The Zeroshell WiFI package has been test with a wireless card wich uses the chipset
00:13.0 Network controller: Atheros Communications, Inc. AR5416 802.11a/b/g/n Wireless PCI Adapter (rev 01)
(output of the lspci command ).

To install the Wi-Fi package, use the console of Zeroshell to type the following commands:

wget http://www.zeroshell.net/listing/Zeroshell-WiFi.tar.bz2
tar xvfj Zeroshell-WiFi.tar.bz2
./install.sh

Use the wifi-setup command to configure the parameters.

At the end of the installation, from the section [Setup]->[Network] of the web interface, you can either assign an IP address to the wifi interface or bridge it with an Ethernet or VPN interface.

Regards
Fulvio Ricciardi
phil.christs

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:25 pm    Post subject: Just the thread I was hoping to see! Reply with quote

Hi Fulvio,

Sorry to open up such an old thread but I am trying to set up a 5GHz only, draft n wireless router on a Soekris net5501 with a Atheros AR5146 like you, and looking at zeroshell or pfsense as the OS for it. I'm hoping that you still use the AR5146 with zeroshell and wonder whether you would mind telling me whether madwifi's beta support of n draft 2.0 for that chip has made it into zeroshell, and whether it works?

Many thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

Phil
fulvio
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new chipset AR5416 it is only supported in the development release of the MadWifi drivers. Zeroshell is able to manage this chipset because uses a snapshot of the the drivers, but I never tested if it works with the 802.11n draft.

Regards
Fulvio
Bob_Cat

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:43 am    Post subject: Crashing Reply with quote

Hi fluvio,

I decided to implement your wireless system because my Netgear router wasn't quite cutting it, unfortunately it has produced some less than desirable side-effects. I am using the same card species as you in the form of a d-link DWA-552.

If I change the parameters of the wifi card or even de-activate a wifi interface zeroshell dies with a kernel panic. I didn't have time to write down the fault because it was the middle of the morning and I had to reboot the unit quickly to recover.

Slightly annoying, if you get a chance to update the drivers in a future version to see if they are more stable I would be grateful.

Bob
fulvio
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do not worry. In the first week of July I am going to release the 1.0.beta10 with a new snapshot of the MadWifi kernel modules.

Regards
Fulvio
Biomecanoid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what happend to http://www.zeroshell.net/listing/Zeroshell-WiFi.tar.bz2
cant download
fulvio
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starting with the release beta8 you do not need that package to be installed. Probably I removed that.

Regards
Fulvio
_Mat_

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can I use the development version of madwifi in 1.0 beta 12 or is it still integrated? If I did understand it right, you integrated the stable release of madwifi.

lspci tells me:
00:09.0 Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR5008 Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)

and the card also has the AR5416, so I hope it'll work as it did for you until there will be a new Kernel with ATH9k support.
npumcrisz

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

l purchased a DWA-552 with AR5416 chip but still zeroshell 1.0.beta16 can't detect it.

l'm wondering what's happening.

During the installation no atheros chip is detected!!

According to http://madwifi-project.org/wiki/Compatibility/D-Link this card is supported!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zeroshell.org Forum Index -> ZeroShell All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: