www.zeroshell.org Forum Index www.zeroshell.org
Linux Distribution for server and embedded devices

SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile  Log inLog in  Log in to check your private messagesPrivate Message 

I fixed a lot of my problems in one go

View previous topic :: View next topic  
t3mporal

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:48 pm    Post subject: I fixed a lot of my problems in one go Reply with quote

After running zeroshell for I guess nearly 10 years, and donating several times, I started to wonder if there was a viable alternative that was not riddled with bugs the dev refuses to acknowledge let alone fix, and gradually declining performance. The catalyst was upgrading to 100Mbit fibre and realising that nothing short of an Athlon 64 would cope with the load.

I've been running pfSense for over six months now. Feature wise it's on parity if not better, internet throughput is saturated at less than 50% load on a Via Eden @ 1GHz, it's significantly more reliable.

It's slightly easier to install, regularly updated including a significant UI overhall while I've been using it, there's active support and a forum populated by more than a handful of people. There are a few theoretical features Zeroshell has that pfSense doesn't have, but the pfSense features work without prayer and sacrifice.

Slap a DNR on Zeroshell. Fulvio is clearly sick of it and I'm sure his time could be better spent.
Cybernol

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:38 pm    Post subject: Sorry you feel that way - I have the opposit from you Reply with quote

As I was looking for an easy an fast way to implement an bridge firewall solution, I looked around and I found pfsense tried to install and had all kind of strange effects.

No offense to Pf for sure an other way to look at it and i know guys who love it just the way I hate it, for me thats an stupid interface and I could not find what I was looking for.

I found it in an very stable ZS 2 years ago and have more than 80 boxes running perfectly.

So maybe we are different and we look for different things.
Also as this project is run mainly by one guy (fulvio) yes its not nice to hear he has not time or intention to do what YOU/ Me want in there. but if you think he is alone (his choice) and has an normal job beside this I would say.
Its not perfect but very nice job done.

Any way I find your comment an bit hard.
Greetings. Nol. Crying or Very sad
DrmCa

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was running ZS on P4 Celeron 2.2 GHz for almost 10 years, and just migrated to Atom 1.6 GHz and with 25 MBit connection my CPU utilization is hovering around 5-7% on a LAN with 11 machines permanently and a couple of visiting laptops. Our d/l volume is anywhere between 300 MB and 1 TB depending on a month.

If you were pinning Athlon 64 at 100% CPU, something was very wrong in the hardware setup. I would suspect a Realtek NIC first, this is probably the most likely culprit as their chips are horrible for sustained network traffic applications.

I always use Intel based NICs and now with Atom I installed a PCIe 1x card for LAN and this setup runs very cool, uses little CPU and only 90 MB of RAM.

I am always (with any software) trying to stay at least 1 major version behind to have something which is patched and bug-free. The migration to Atom also installed 3.5 where previously I was on 1.0, then 2.0 then 3.0. Cannot recall any show-stopper bugs, these run fine and create no issues except a minor one with VOIP which I eventually figured out

It is true that Fulvio is not frequenting this forum and seldom responds to the posts, but this is his project and he made no commitments to provide any sort of support, so we should be grateful to him for putting together an excellent router package that allowed so many of us to stay online for free for so many years and advance our own goals. Kudos to Fulvio for all the effort he spent and hopefully we are going to see more user-requested features implemented in the future!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zeroshell.org Forum Index -> ZeroShell All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: