www.zeroshell.org Forum Index www.zeroshell.org
Linux Distribution for server and embedded devices

SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile  Log inLog in  Log in to check your private messagesPrivate Message 

Latest kernel - how to build using new development kit

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mattjhaigh

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:00 am    Post subject: Latest kernel - how to build using new development kit Reply with quote

I have been impressed by Zeroshell. Running on my PCEngines APU2, the software is lightweight and impressive. Thank you to all that have contributed.

I would like to update the Kernel to the latest 64-bit version, 4.8.3 - and noted the arrival of the new development console.

I have downloaded the console, but since I have not rebuilt a kernel before, let alone on an embedded system like the APU, I don't really know where to start.

Why do I need this?

My understanding is that there was a significant update to the Intel igb drivers - in recent kernels - to improve performance, particularly relating to the receive and transmit queues. The APU board has 3x i210AT interfaces - running igb - and my download and upload rates currently max out at just less than 500mbps. I understand the board is capable of much higher - and the recent release of FreeBSD has patched this.

I would really love to stay with Zeroshell, and use the new kernel, rather than migrate. Given that others would also likely benefit from a quick 101 on kernel rebuild in the new development environment, is someone able to help? I have searched the forum, but I cannot find a good guide to completing the build - especially using the new console.

I thank you in advance and look forward to improving my knowledge of Linux and networking so that this can be shared to help others.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zeroshell.org Forum Index -> ZeroShell All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: