www.zeroshell.org Forum Index www.zeroshell.org
Linux Distribution for server and embedded devices

SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile  Log inLog in  Log in to check your private messagesPrivate Message 

How to setup a VLAN?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
matthew.a.squires

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:58 pm    Post subject: How to setup a VLAN? Reply with quote

I understand that you are not here to teach just direct, so if you can please give me some direction.

I am trying to setup a VLAN between PC's using two Zeroshell Routers that are connected via an LAN to LAN OpenVPN Connection.

I have no idea what to do.
fulvio
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

802.1q VLAN trunking protocol adds a tag (in the range 1-4094) to every ethernet datagrams depending on the VLAN the packet has been originated. So doing it is possible to connect more than one (Virtual) LAN by using a single cable (trunk). Destination switches/routers automatically, examining the tag, discover what is the LAN on which they must send the ethernet datagram. Notice that when the packet leaves the trunk the tag is removed.
Now, an OpenVPN tunnel (if it uses TAP virtual devices and not TUN ones) is a virtual Ethernet link across Internet and hence you can apply the 802.1q VLAN tags as for a ethernet cable connection. This is useful if your LAN is organized in Virtual LAN and you want to transfer the same VLANs to a remote location.
Notice that makes no sense to connect a client directly to a trunk. You should use the trunks only to connect routers, switches and servers that provide services on more LAN. In addition, by using Zeroshell to act as a Wi-Fi AP, you can map a VLAN on a Multi SSID bridging them.

Now, post further details about the configuration where you want to use the VLANs. I think you are wrong because you used the word VLAN instead of the term VPN. Am I right?

Regards
Fulvio
matthew.a.squires

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:50 pm    Post subject: The use of the term VLAN was correct. Reply with quote

The use of the term VLAN was correct.
I do not have a diagram because I am trying to understand the process before I try to design it.

Do you have a diagram that you can recommend. I understand the concept, but I do not fully understand the physical design.

I have Cisco 1900 CAT Switches and the some configuration instruction, but I am looking for a diagram or map of some king to follow.
fulvio
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I have not a diagram ready. Would you able to describe your goals? Why do you want to use VLANs over VPN?
matthew.a.squires

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:52 pm    Post subject: I am trying to do two things. Reply with quote

I am trying to do two things.

1ST:

I have a file server that I want certain computers to access through the LAN to LAN OpenVPN connection.
Even through I can configure the firewall to allow certain Subnet and or IP Addresses the achieve my goal, I want to learn and prefer to user a VLAN setup

2ND:

If possible, I want to allow certain computers to access the Internet from a remote site; from the other side of the LAN to LAN OpenVPN connection.

Also ---- Can I setup a wireless SIDD to be a part of a VLAN and access the Internet from the remote site on the other side of the LAN to LAN OpenVPN connection.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zeroshell.org Forum Index -> Networking All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: