www.zeroshell.org Forum Index www.zeroshell.org
Linux Distribution for server and embedded devices

SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile  Log inLog in  Log in to check your private messagesPrivate Message 

Problem for booting from SATA

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mlapeyre

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:55 am    Post subject: Problem for booting from SATA Reply with quote

Dear Fulvio,

I have installed Zeroshell beta10 in a SATA disk following certain instructions I found for installing it on a disk ( gunzip -c Zeroshellbeta10.img.gz > /dev/sda ), but after loading the kernel the system keeps trying to boot from SATA with messages like:

"Probing[x] USB and SATA devices to startup the system..."

and then hangs with a kernel panic message, because is unable to find a device for mounting root.

I used the same installation method for Zeroshell beta9 on a PATA disk and all worked fine.

I have a PCChips P55G motherboard with a NVidia SATA controller, and found that the drivers that could use ( sata_nv and ahci ) are present in the system.

When I boot from the liveCD, I can access the SATA disk without problem,so, the kernel recognizes the chipset and disk.

Could you give me some advice?

Thanks in advance

Manuel
fulvio
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably something in the initrd si wrong. I will try to correct it in the next release. Now, if you do not like boot from CDROM, you can use the compactflash image on a USB Flash disk. You will use the SATA disk only to store the configuration and the logs.
If the USB ports of your system are USB 2.0, then Zeroshell will complete the bootstrap faster than with the cdrom.

Regards
Fulvio
mlapeyre

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Fulvio for your reply.

I haved tested my Zeroshell SATA disk with another motherboard and booted fine!
The motherboard is a PCChips M955G with a VIA SATA controller, so It could be a problem with the sata driver used.
Maybe the sata_nv.ko or the ahci.ko drivers ( I think that the last nVidia chipsets are using AHCI) have some bug.
IŽll try to contact to the driver's mantainer ( Jeff Garzik http://linux-ata.org/ ) regarding this.

Thanks again
fulvio
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok , let us know.

Regards
Fulvio
jt

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had trouble booting the SATA drive on my 1U server. I tried a lot of CMOS settings for the drive and other hardware configs and nothing fixed it.

Finally, moving the drive to SATA channel 2 instead of 1 allowed it to boot as if it was an ATA drive. That works.
mlapeyre

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fulvio,

I found the answer to my problem.
My VIA Sata controller uses ahci to communicate with my Samsung 80GB SATA disk, but the ahci.ko driver was not in the lib/sata/chipsets directory of /boot/initrd.gz.
So, I copy it there from /cdrom/modules/2.6.25.9/kernel/drivers/ata, and all was ok.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Manuel
scegg

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mlapeyre wrote:
Fulvio,

I found the answer to my problem.
My VIA Sata controller uses ahci to communicate with my Samsung 80GB SATA disk, but the ahci.ko driver was not in the lib/sata/chipsets directory of /boot/initrd.gz.
So, I copy it there from /cdrom/modules/2.6.25.9/kernel/drivers/ata, and all was ok.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Manuel

hmm, i find only a bin file in that gz package.
Should I create that folder before copy the driver file?
ellisgl

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check this post: http://www.zeroshell.net/eng/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2972&highlight=dell+poweredge+6650

Basically you use ps_initrd.sh to unpack it, go in to the directory change stuff up, and close it out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.zeroshell.org Forum Index -> ZeroShell All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: